As of last Wednesday, it looks like it is as close to official as it gets... We have a written court order from the Tamil Nadu High Court awarding me guardianship of my daughter (let's call her Junior and hope that it won't be too confusing).
We've been waiting for this last part only for a week - verbal guardianship was granted at the end of February and I can honestly say that the Indian court system's mere week to reduce the in-court activities to writing has registered more shock and surprise than anything that has happened in ten years of navigating the international adoption process.
Ok - that's an exaggeration -- I meant to say that the SPEED or EFFICIENCY or ALACRITY or whatever word is that conveys operational...you know, SPEED is a first..... like ever....
So of course, the written order appears to have completely caught the orphanage flat footed - they're like "but we have a MEETING next week and so we couldn't possibly file a passport application until after the meeting!!! That would be like, doing two things at once!!" God forbid.
Anyway, the upshot is that I will be traveling sometime mid-April to bring Junior home. In the meantime I am making lists, so as to ensure that I will be sure to remember all of the important stuff, like lice shampoo and lollipops (for the changes in air pressure). And anti-diarrheal meds. Those are really important. I learned that on my last trip to India.... That was the time that I decided I was fearless, drank tap water, then threw up a few hours later in the gardens of the Taj Mahal. Classy. Of course, that was just the beginning...I will go no further except to say that I managed to lose all of my holiday weight in about 72 hours. And run up a helluva laundry bill at the Renaissance in Mumbai.
I digress... daughter "Rain" is excited to be a big sister, although I suspect the shine will dull on that one in about the same amount of time it took me to lose all that holiday weight in Mumbai last year. Time will tell...
Am trying to get my agency to commit to travel dates. We'll see how that goes...
My Adventure in India with my spouse and two daughters, 3 years after bringing home my youngest.
Desi = native of India or the Indian diaspora. Ma= mother.
Three years ago, I started this blog to document and share my experience in adopting and traveling back with our second child from India. Now I am returning to this blog to share our experience in returning three years later with both daughters and spouse in tow.
Going to India is always an adventure. Even if you were born there. Adoption (like any other method of creating a family) is also an adventure. Combine them and you have the makings of a twisting, turning, stomach-churning journey through the travails of bureaucracy, culture and head-scratching tradition.
Wednesday, March 16, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment